In the same way you wouldn’t go to a job interview without dressing appropriately and looking the part, you should not host a viewing without your house looking its best. Here is our ‘how to’ on staging your home for sale or rent.
1. Make sure your property is listed with The iProperty Company with great photos and a good description. It’s the first thing potential buyers and tenants are likely to see, and is critical for getting actual viewings.
2. Start with the basics such as fixing any maintenance issues, so it does not appear to a prospective buyer or renter that your house needs lots of work. If you have the time and budget consider redecorating any rooms that look tired. It might seem like a lot of effort, but a fresh coat of paint can work wonders.
3. Curtains, blinds and shutters should all be open. Light is very important and switch electric lights on when showing your house, even if it’s light outside. It’s an old estate agents’ trick.
4. If your property is small or dark, mirrors and light coloured walls can create the illusion of space. It is really important that your house looks as spacious as possible. On the other hand large rooms can look unwelcoming if they are not decorated appropriately, so use warm colours and create defined areas to make them feel cosier.
5. Defined areas are specific spaces for activities such as relaxing, working, and eating. Even if you have an open plan living area, viewers will want to know that your property has everything they need. You can create specific areas using furniture, plants, and book shelves or even screens – just use your imagination.
6. Don’t waste space. Make every nook and cranny useful. Even the most awkward areas can be transformed with shelves or a small table. Some furniture stores actually sell products that are designed to maximise space, you would be surprised at the clever design solutions they have come up with.
7. Little things count. Your house must smell nice, especially if you smoke or have pets – if you want to go the extra mile then a vase of fresh flowers and scented candles are always good. Certain odours can be hard to detect if you are used to them – so it is really important to check this thoroughly. Maybe ask a trusted friend to give you their opinion. You could also play soothing music at a low volume – this adds ambience for the viewer and is more likely to put them in a relaxed mood.
8. It is also really important to make sure that the outside of the house looks good. You do not want to put-off buyers before they even set foot inside. Pot plants and a fresh coat of paint on the front door can dramatically improve the first impression your property gives.
9. Also make sure you use an iProperty “For Sale” or “For Rent” board. This is one of the most effective ways of marketing your property as most buyers tend to drive around their chosen area before selecting properties to view. It seems obvious, but research shows that it can really improve your chances of selling. You can take a look here
10. Most of all make sure your house is clean and tidy, this is very important. You might be surprised how easily potential buyers are put-off by little things such as dirty dishes and laundry.
Take a tour of our blog for more written ‘how to’ guides and videos on how to get the most out of the iProperty Company. http://blog.theipropertycompany.com/category/how-to-guides/