Many of us like to use the New Year as a time to take stock and consider how we can improve our lives or ourselves. There are however, many simple things we can do in the home to make our lives better organized or just more comfortable. Here’s the Top Ten New Year’s Resolutions for Your Home.
- Install smoke alarms and make sure the batteries are working – this is probably one of the important jobs you will ever do. Most fires are allowed to take hold because of faulty fire alarms.
- Minimise the potential for falls – falling is one of the top accidents that can happen in the home. Why not install non-slip surfaces in important areas such as bathrooms, showers and pool areas can reduce the potential for nasty accidents.
- Install or Check Insulation – This is essential to ensure that your home is using the minimum energy for heating.
- Scan Important Documents – Fire, flood and human error can mean that essential documents are lost. By scanning in important and saving documents and photographs you do not need to worry about losing them.
- Minimise work in your Garden during Summer – Winter is an ideal time to get to work on larger projects that will disrupt your garden. By installing automatic irrigation for easy watering in summer or laying down coverage to reduce weeds you will have happier times pottering and planting when warm weather makes everything grow faster.
- Have a Security Check – We all wish burglars didn’t exist but they do. New Year is a good time to review your home security. Why not sign up with a community watch scheme, upgrade your alarm system or see if there are any free checks available from your local police service or one of the many personal security support groups.
- Hire a Power-washer – there are many bargains around in the New Year and if you are a keen negotiator, or have a sharp eye for a bargain, you may find a great hire deal for a power-washer or snap one up in a second-hand. Use your washer to clean drives, walls, patios or any other outdoor features. This will give the exterior of your home an instant facelift which can make a huge difference in winter when screening and decoration from vegetation is at its lowest.
- De-clutter – This will not just make the inside of your home look instantly better, it will also make you feel better about yourself. Many healing rituals include the physical cleansing of your environment. By eliminating items that you do not want you can make a generous donation to your favourite thrift store charity, recycle or top-up your bank account from second-hand sales using ebay.
- Review Renewals and Standing Orders – Sometimes electronic financial management can result in loss of control. An annual audit will allow you check costs and fees on items such as credit cards, mobile phone bills, utilities, insurance and banking. If you have been sent a renewal notice check around to see what other deals there are and double-check for any unexpected fees that have been debited from your bank account or credit card. Also check out iProperty for deals and discounts.
- Dry Clean Upholstery – a good deal with your local upholstery cleaner can reduce bugs and mites in your carpets, curtains and furnishings and breathe new life into tired looking textiles.
Good luck with your Home resolutions for 2015. Do you have any tips to share?